Sunday, March 25, 2012

Connection Pooling Limit thru ODBC

Hello, Does anyone know if it's possible to limit the actual number of possible connections made to a database using the connection pooling services provided by odbc (let's assume odbc and not ole, as quite honestly i intend this for connecting to MSDE)? my understanding is that the connection limit provided with the pool strictly manages the number of connections within the pool versus the total number of connections.

Ideally I would like connection requests to be queued and offered when available.. which I would further like to specify in the code using the connection. what I mean by this is that I would like to explicitly flag the connection as unused (thereby skipping the wait for idle time), when I'm done with it.

why do I want to do such things? well, and here's where my problem may lie, I want to use MSDE (with it's reccomended 5 connection limit) on a single machine. Although there will only be a single user, there exist a whole slew of *different* apps that need to jump in, read/write data and leave again.

please excuse my ignorance if I'm attempting to get around this the wrong way. i look forward to a discussion.

abLook at SQL Server Properties - Connection TAB - Remote Server Connections.

[ ]'s|||Excellent, gotta love how simple that is! do you happen to know what happens when the max connections are used? is the connection request denied or simply qeued until a possible timeout? also do you know what i should do with a connection, once finished with it in a DLL for instance, to best take advantage of connection pooling? thanks

ab

Originally posted by PedroHenrique
Look at SQL Server Properties - Connection TAB - Remote Server Connections.

[ ]'s

No comments:

Post a Comment