Thursday, March 22, 2012

Connection over VPN

I have MSDE server installed on a pc at work. This PC runs Windows XP and
runs as a VPN server as well.
I have SQL Server Enterpise Manager on my laptop, and need to be able to
manage the MSDE server when connected to work from home, using a VPN.
When I try to add the server in Enterprise Manager, it says access is denied
or server is unavailable. I have read a lot of posts about using named
pipes, opening port 1723 but none of these have worked for me.
Any ideas please?
TomI suspect your actual error message was "sql server does not exist or
access denied". There are many potential causes as outlined in this article:
328306 INF: Potential Causes of the "SQL Server Does Not Exist or Access
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=328306
If the problem is only with VPNs I would probably concentrate on ports that
are blocked for VPN connections or permissions that are different for VPN
connections.
Cindy Gross, MCDBA, MCSE
http://cindygross.tripod.com
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

No comments:

Post a Comment