Thursday, March 22, 2012

Connection over VPN

I have MSDE server installed on a pc at work. This PC runs Windows XP and
runs as a VPN server as well.
I have SQL Server Enterpise Manager on my laptop, and need to be able to
manage the MSDE server when connected to work from home, using a VPN.
When I try to add the server in Enterprise Manager, it says access is denied
or server is unavailable. I have read a lot of posts about using named
pipes, opening port 1723 but none of these have worked for me.
Any ideas please?
Tom
I suspect your actual error message was "sql server does not exist or
access denied". There are many potential causes as outlined in this article:
328306 INF: Potential Causes of the "SQL Server Does Not Exist or Access
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=328306
If the problem is only with VPNs I would probably concentrate on ports that
are blocked for VPN connections or permissions that are different for VPN
connections.
Cindy Gross, MCDBA, MCSE
http://cindygross.tripod.com
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

No comments:

Post a Comment