Friday, February 24, 2012

Connection Error

I am having a problem with creating any report in Visual Studio 2003 and
Reporting Services 2000.
I can create a datasource and test the connection without any problems.
However, when I create a report that uses this datasource (or try to create
an new one) it fails with the error message "A connection cannot be made to
the database. Set and check the connection string". This problem occurs using
a brand new VS Project and report and all existing projects/reports.
All my existing reports fail now too with the same error in all projects.
Unfortunately, I do no know what would have changed that would cause this
error. Did any recent security patches cause any problems?
Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
--
WCUI was able to determine the solution. The data source is for Oracle. The
password for the account that I was using was expiring. Oracle throws and ORA
error message when connecting with a password that is about to expire.
Testing the connection in Visual Studio must trap and ignore this password
expire warning (oracle error) while trying to use this data source in a
report just fails.
Hope this helps someone in the future...
--
WCU
"StanleyHammer" wrote:
> I am having a problem with creating any report in Visual Studio 2003 and
> Reporting Services 2000.
> I can create a datasource and test the connection without any problems.
> However, when I create a report that uses this datasource (or try to create
> an new one) it fails with the error message "A connection cannot be made to
> the database. Set and check the connection string". This problem occurs using
> a brand new VS Project and report and all existing projects/reports.
> All my existing reports fail now too with the same error in all projects.
> Unfortunately, I do no know what would have changed that would cause this
> error. Did any recent security patches cause any problems?
> Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
> --
> WCU

No comments:

Post a Comment